Saturday, August 2, 2008

Buddhism - Dhammapada

After reading the chapters of the Dhammapada listed in the recommended reading section for Buddhism, I started to realize the importance that this religion puts on self worth, and self sacrifice, and what most believe is required of the individual to reach Nirvana. Overall I have a greater appreciation for what a Buddhist must endure for their beliefs. Below I have summarized a few of the chapters I read, and what I believe the ideas and teachings that those chapters were demonstrating.

The first chapter of the Buddhism required reading was "Sahassavagga - The Thousands", which a themed at self sacrifice and self control. For example it states "Self-conquest is, indeed, far greater than the conquest of all other folks", which is a direct reference to self sacrifice. Another verse states: "Better than a thousand verses, comprising useless words, is one beneficial single line, by hearing which one is pacified.", which (as far as I can tell) is telling the reader to carefully think about what they say and do.

The second chapter I read was called "Dandavagga - Violence", which spoke of nonviolence. This chapter shows the extent that any Buddhist will go to avoid violence, and shows a true devotion to the karma notion. One passage mentioned: "Whoever tries to seek happiness without hurting others, can find happiness". I do not share this belief with the Buddhist's, I believe that there are times when one must resort to violence, especially when protecting his family or himself.

The third chapter I read was called "Jaravagga - Old Age", this chapter was confusing, as it refers to old age as ugly. One verse of note was: "Thoroughly worn out is this body, a nest of diseases, perishable. This putrid mass breaks up. Truly, life ends in death". I read over this chapter a few times and decided that this chapter is about what one would look like or be like if they reach old age without following the teachings of Buddha. Out of all the chapters that I read I found this one to be the most negative, and I could not understand why a chapter like this exists in a book so full of optimism. It tells the reader what to avoid in their life, and what steps to take to avoid the aforementioned fate.

The last few chapters that I read further discussed the ideas mentioned in the three main chapters I discussed, further discussing and defining what one must do to reach nirvana. One passage of mention in the later chapters was a passage about happiness, and how the Buddhists believe in non-attachment: "Ah, happily do we live, we who have no impediments. Feeders of joy shall we be even as the gods of the Radiant Realm". The overall feel of the chapters I covered was optimistic, I feel that I took more away from this book after learning about the other religions that are based on Buddhism. Overall I feel that this book and its teachings are an invaluable piece of history, that I believe everyone could benefit from its ideas and teachings, and that everyone should be quicker to avoid violence and quicker to offer a helping hand.

No comments: